FAQ of Clippy 1.4.0 (old)
Frequently asked questions
Does Clippy run under Windows NT ?
The ZIP file can not be downloaded or alternatively can not be transferred completely. Why?
I can't install Clippy. Why not?
The Installation routine wants to overwrite newer System Files
After the installation of Clippy I get an error message when I try to start it. What can I do?
How do you specify the language in Clippy?
Why does Clippy supress the access of AltGr-keys?
Why is Clippy Freeware and not Shareware?
- Does Clippy run under Windows NT?
As I can't test Clippy under NT, I can't make any binding comments on this.
In principle there is no reason why it shouldn't. Someone has installed
Clippy under Windows NT with SP6. Please let me know if Clippy runs under NT
without any problems and with which NT version.
Clippy doesn't change the insides of the system in any way and can be
installed without any danger. I don't, however, make any guarantees for
incorrect behaviour caused by the software.
- The ZIP file can not be downloaded or alternatively can not be transferred completely. Why?
There are the following possibilities:
In all these cases I recommend that you try again at a later time (about 30
- the web server is too busy or isn't working correctly
- the zip file is just being updated
- the internet connection is not stable
If you then still have a problem, please let me know.
- I can't install Clippy. Why not?
If you are using an old Windows version, please see if there is an update for it.
The ZIP file has not been correctly unpacked. Please try to fully unpack the Zip file and run the Setup program from the unpacked directory.
- The Installation routine wants to overwrite newer System Files
If the Clippy Setup asks this question, then simply retain your existing
You can also install Clippy by hand:
- Install the VB6-Runtime (can be found somewhere on the Microsoft-Homepage)
- Copy Clippy.exe and the "help"-folder into a program-folder (i.e.: C:\Programs\Clippy\)
- Copy OSD.ocx into the Windows-System-folder (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ resp. SYSTEM\ resp. WINNT\SYSTEM...)
- Start Clippy.exe. If an error-message occures, which tells you that a DLL or OCX is missing, then just copy the missing file out of the clippy.cab-archive into the Windows-System-folder
- After the installation of Clippy I get an error message when I try to start it. What can I do?
Runtime error 339:
Several errors occurred in connection with the
distribution of Version 1.4.0 on the 7th and 8th of October 2002. These
errors have in the meantime been corrected. You can either download the
entire distribution again or download the missing files from here.
Runtime error 9 or 13:
I will check this problems out. Hopefully the next version will not contain these errors anymore.
I don't know of any other errors. Please let me know if you come across any.
- How do you specify the language in Clippy?
The language Clippy uses depends on the language of the Operating System. At
the moment Clippy supports English and German. German only appears when the
Operating System is German, otherwise English is always selected.
- Why does Clippy supress the access of AltGr-keys?
Take a try:
AltGr+Q leads to
Ctrl+Alt+Q leads to
(Independant to Clippy)
- Why is Clippy 1.4.0 Freeware and not Shareware?
Clippy is still in development. The program still doesn't match my vision.
If this situation is reached there will probably be a Shareware version. I
plan however to always offer a Freeware version.
Question: Would you be prepared to pay a Shareware charge? If yes, how
Thanks to Michael Walsh for the great help with the translation!